Little Blue Truck Birthday

On Saturday June 7th our son, Hunter, turned 1 year old. We celebrated under a tent in the backyard with 30 of our closest family and friends, and while nothing about the party had to do with shoes, the level of handmade detail was on par with any custom pair, so I thought it was worth sharing.

The theme of the party was based on Hunter’s favorite book, “The Little Blue Truck” by Alice Schertle. It’s a story about a friendly truck and his farmyard friends, hanging out in the countryside and lending a hand to anyone in need. This provided the perfect setting for a summer party and I focused on a blue palette with royal picnic check tablecloths and navy bandana napkins, mixed with natural farm colors from straw hay bales and fresh sunflowers to kraft paper accents. Everyone had a wonderful time – especially Hunter, who was showered with fun presents, yummy food, and lots of love all afternoon.

The invitations and thank you cards featured scanned images from the Little Blue Truck book, which I photoshopped, in the case of the invites, to include an illustrated caricature of Hunter in the driver’s seat. My sister-in-law, Ali, expertly created the table signs (complete with on-theme chalkboard labels) and Happy 1st Birthday Hunter letters using her Silhouette cutter.

For the food, we offered traditional farm-fresh favorites including my mom’s divine deviled eggs, a huge batch of delicious corn salsa made by my in-laws and 4 outstanding homemade pies straight from my grandmother’s own farmhouse kitchen in Vermont. I made Hunter’s birthday cake and the Little Blue Truck cookies from scratch as well, which were tied with raffia and offered as party favors.

FoodTables PieTable

Our piece de la resistance was the Little Blue Truck replica my husband modified from a yellow Little Tikes roadside find, which included the addition of headlights, taillights, hubcaps, spray paint and an assortment of barnyard Beanie Babies hitching a ride. We also showcased a framed set of Hunter’s month-by-month photos encircling the drink table and had some twangy country music playing in the background. Happy Birthday, indeed, to our smart, funny, adventurous, little boy!

LittleBlueTruckReplica

Hunter: Baby Gap tshirt and shorts // Katie: Splendid dress, David Yurman bracelets, turquoise earrings from Sedona, AZ

You might also enjoy...

This entry was posted in babies, DIY, katie, party. Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Little Blue Truck Birthday

1. Blythe says:

Do you have any before and after a or how-to’s on the little tikes truck? It’s so cute!

• Katie says:

Unfortunately, no, we won’t be posting anything further on the Little Tikes truck makeover. I can tell you that we used Krylon “Fusion for Plastic” spray paint (blue exterior, silver interior), Camco blind spot mirrors for the hubcaps, Grote stick-on red reflectors for the tail lights, and Philips 357517 light bulbs for the headlights – the housings of which were spray painted and inserted into holes we drilled in the truck. Hope this helps!

2. Jackie says:

Hey there! I came across this on Pinterest as I was searching ideas for my son’s upcoming Little Blue Truck Party!! I LOVE all the ideas on here! I was wondering if you’d be willing to sell me a digital file of the invitation? I like this one more than any of the ones I’ve found on Etsy so far. I know the caricature was made to look like your son but it looks pretty close to my son too! So I would take it just as it is! Let me know if you’d consider it! Thanks!!!

3. Nicole says:

Hi,
    I have the exact same question as Jackie above. Would you be willing to sell a digital copy, as is? Thanks!

• Katie says:

Hi Nicole, yes, I would be willing to sell a digital copy. I will message you back personally with the details. Thanks for the interest!

• Mattea Cook says:

Hi there! My son is turning one and I would love a digital copy of the invitation you made here. It’s really awesome! How can I get my hands on it? Thanks.

• Jenny says:

Hi Katie- I would like to purchase a digital copy of your invite, if you’re still selling. This is adorable!!

• Katie says:

Hi Jenny, unfortunately I have stopped offering this. Thanks for the kind words and good luck with your party!

• Lauren says:

Could I also please purchase a digital file of the invitation? Thank you!

4. Alison LeNeave says:

I’m also very interested in purchasing the digital copy of this invitation for my son’s first birthday. Can you please send me the details??

5. Ali says:

I have the same question about the invite. Would you be willing to sell the digital copy of this invite? It’s so perfect!

6. Keri says:

I am also interested in buying the digital image for invite, looks just like my little fella:) And also the thank you…if possible! So cute!

7. Mitsi says:

I would LOVE the digital invitation file too! So precious! What a great looking party. 🙂

8. Jessica says:

Can you share where you got the cookie cutter? I haven’t seen one like that. Any tips for the cookie recipe or decorating?

Thanks!

• Katie says:

Hi Jessica, the truck cookie cutter I used was actually a pancake mold by Amco (it came in a set with an airplane). For the royal icing recipe and decorating techniques, I always default to Martha Stewart. Good luck!

9. mitsi says:

I would also LOVE to buy a digital copy of the invite from you. Please email me and let me know how much, etc. Cutest thing ever. 🙂

10. Stephanie says:

I was also wondering if I could buy a digital copy of this invitation! It is perfect!

11. Erica says:

I would also like a digital copy of the invitation!

12. Kate says:

Love everything about this party! Our little guy is obsessed with The Little Blue Truck. I’d also love to purchase the digital invite from you if possible! Thanks!

13. Erin Delionbach says:

I would also like to buy the digital file for the invitation, please!

Thank you!

14. Rue says:

could I buy the digital file for my grandson’s first birthday? I have read these books a thousand times!

15. Erin says:

Hello! Saw the invite and I fell inlove! I would love to use it for my sons first birthday. Please get back to me ASAP! I would love to buy it from you.

16. Hannah says:

Please send information on the digital file of the invitation. I LOVE your creativity and am doing this theme for my son’s first birthday as well! Awesome!

17. Kristin Russell says:

Hi! I am also interested in the invitation and thank you note! Would you mind contacting me with the info? Thank you!

18. Eliamar Saenz says:

I would also love to buy a digital file for invitations please.
    Thanks!

19. Billie Jo says:

Could you please message me the details on purchasing the invite? I would love to purchase soon it if its available!!

Thank you soo much!! :):):)

20. Colleen says:

Hi- I too would love to purchase the digital invite and thank you if you’re still doing it.

The party looks adorable!

Thanks!

21. Michelle says:

I would LOVE to purchase a digital copy of the invitations, also 🙂
    Please email me!
    THANK YOU!

22. Meghan says:

Hi, I would love to buy the digital file for the invitation, please!

23. GG Hatfield says:

I too would love to purchase a digital copy of the invite and thank you cards. You are so creative.

24. Ellie says:

Hi! I’d also like to by a digital.

thanks
    Ellie

25. GG Hatfield says:

I too would love to buy a digital copy…. My son turns one at the end of this month….

26. Nicole says:

Can I also buy a digital copy of the invite? Thank you!

27. Amber says:

I LOVE the theme! Little Blue Truck is one of the first books we read to our son. He loves them! I, like all the others would be interested in learning more about purchasing the digital copy of the invite. Thank you for sharing your awesome ideas.

28. Theresa says:

I scanned our book, but didn’t get near the quality you have. I’d like to purchase the digital file if you’re still selling!

29. Julie says:

Love your party ideas! Can I buy a digital copy of your invitation? Thanks

30. Elizabeth says:

Love all of these ideas so much!
    Could I buy a digital copy of your invitation as well? Thank you!

31. Janeen says:

Hi Katie,

I love your little blue truck makeover and searched hi and low for the black pickup. I finally was successful and am trying to get it spray painted however I cannot find any Krylon Fusion Silver paint. I bought a gray however it is too light. Was the silver you used Fusion? Or a different type of Krylon?

Thanks, Janeen

• Katie says:

Hi Janeen, sorry, I don’t remember if the silver paint we used was Fusion, but now that you have a base coat of light grey applied, I’m sure any silver spray paint will work on top. The other difference is that we started with an old light yellow truck, not a black one, so that might be affecting how the color is applying. Good luck with your project!

32. Kristin says:

Seems like you get this questions a lot, but could I also purchase the invitation? You did a great job!

Thanks

33. Laura says:

I am going to ask the same as everyone, could I purchase a digital file of the invitation? It is so adorable! Thank you!!

34. Kim Pettiette says:

I love the invitation! Can i purchase a digital file of the invitation? How did you get the picture in it? I will need my sons picture in it Thanks Kim

35. Jennifer says:

This party is so wonderful and creative! We plan on throwing one soon for my nephew. Do you have a link or store name that you could provide where you found the Little Tikes Blue Truck? I can’t seem to find this model anywhere!

• Katie says:

Hi Jennifer, as I explain in the post, we found this Little Tikes truck on the side of the road and modified it to look like the Little Blue Truck. I think its an older model and probably not available to buy anymore – you might try Craigslist? Good luck!

36. Leah says:

Hi Katie! Love everything for this party! Can you send me the invitation as well? I would really appreciate it. My son is turning one soon.

37. Abbey Croatt says:

This is the perfect theme for our little guy’s 1st birthday in April … we love The Little Blue Truck! Do you have have the nvitation still available to purchase and send? We would love to use it if you’re willing to share. Thanks!

38. Jackie says:

Hi Katie, I too would love to purchase the digital file for the invitation.

39. Beth Harman says:

I would love to have the invitation, also. My grandson will be one soon, and this is his favorite book.

40. Laura says:

Hi Katie – I would also like to purchase the invitation if you are still selling it as is with the picture. Little Blue Truck is his favorite right now! Please let me know what is the best way to get in touch with you about this. Thanks!

41. Cecilia Dietrich says:

Hi Katie, I would love to purchase the digital file for the invitation as well. My son is turning one soon and I’d love the to use the invitation if it’s still available for purchase. Thanks!

42. Janet says:

Hi Katie! May I please buy the digital copy of the invite. Yours is my favorite by far! ☺️ I love the vintage look.

43. lindsay says:

Hello. I am interested in buying the digital file for the invitations !

44. Tiffany Pope says:

Hi! I absolutely love the invitation! I am interested in purchasing a digital copy. Thanks!!

45. Jill says:

I am interested in purchasing a digital copy of the invitation as well! Thank you!

46. Katie says:

We are also interested in a digital file of the invite. So well done! I love it!

47. Jane says:

Katie did you use a plastic primer before applying paint and did you use gloss?? How did you attach mirrors to wheels??

• Katie says:

Hi Jane, no we didn’t use any primer or gloss coat – just the Krylon Fusion for Plastic spray paint. We attached the mirrors to the wheels with some bits of double sided foam tape, which held them on for the party but was by no means a permanent solution. Hope this helps!

48. Tonya Mazur says:

Hi Katie,
    Your son is too cute and his party was perfect! I am interested in purchasing the digital file as well. Please let me know! 🙂

49. Jane says:

One last question how has paint on car held up??

50. Jane says:

Did you put something on inside to hold headlights in place?? And thanks for responding

51. Jane says:

Katie did you come up with more permanent solution to keeping mirrors on wheels and did the headlights hold up all this time??

• Katie says:

No, I think we just took the wheel mirrors off after the party. The headlights have stayed in place fine. In all honesty though, the truck was a never a favorite toy so it hasn’t exactly been pushed to the limits. Good luck with yours!

52. Kim Freitas says:

Do you still have the little blue cozy coupe truck and are you willing to sell it?

53. Lindsey says:

I am also interested in purchasing the download of the invitation for my son’s 1st birthday party!!! Please email me if you would be willing to share!!!

54. Jordan says:

Ditto on the invite! My little boy is a blondie so it’d work perfectly! Do you still have the invite file? I’d like a copy as well! Thanks so much!

55. Becca Wilson says:

Yes, I second and third and fourth and fifth the invite! Any chance I could hire you to make a custom invitation for my little buddy’s one year party? So darling and definitely the cutest one with this theme I’ve seen!

56. Rachael says:

If your still willing to share, I would love to purchase a digital copy of the invitation. Yours is so much cuter than anything I have found on Etsy. My son is a red head but if you cannot change that its no big deal.
    Thanks

• Katie says:

Hi Rachael, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I hope you found a solution for your son’s birthday invitation.

57. Briana says:

Hi!! I would love to purchase the digital file of this invite! Please let me know!

• Katie says:

Hi Briana, my apologies, but now that I have 2 kids, I barely have time to reply to your comment, much less customize an invitation. Unfortunately, I’ve made the decision to stop selling the file. Best of luck on your party!